Calling all Les Misérables fans: The 2013 Academy Awards are coming up this Sunday, Feb. 24 and your film du jour is up for a lot of awards (eight, to be exact).
So, if you’re hoping to host a soiree because you love the musical, Hugh Jackman, or seeing Anne Hathaway with a pixie cut, we’re here to show you how to get the party started.
3. The Menu:
4. Keep it simple and serve the food of French peasants: a loaf of rustic bread and cheese.
5. Or get your pun on with foods labeled around the film. (Think “What have pie done?” “A cake cart full of love,” and “Jean Valbun.”)
Need a recipe? Try this cream puff recipe as a tasty dessert with the label, “I Dream a Cream Puff.”
6. The Dress Code:
7. If you’re going as Jean Valjean…
A prison look is what you need. Think muted colors, shackles around the wrists, and the number “24601” somewhere on your person.
8. If you’re going as Fantine…
Then you’ll need to think of clothes that would be suitable for a factory girl circa 1820. Chances are you won’t find a long dress that covers your legs, arms and bust, unless you’re near a polygamous compound, so go for something simple without a lot of flair.
9. If you’d like to dress as Eponine…
This should be pretty simple, congrats! Grab a tank top, a belt with a large buckle, a flowing skirt, and pair all of those things with combat boots and beach hair. That, my friends, is how you rock a street urchin look.
10. And if you’re going as Inspector Javert…
The most crucial aspects of dressing as your favorite determined authority figure would have to be his knee-high boots, the long coat and sensible top hat. Score any one of those and you’re golden.
11. The Decor:
12. Why not pay homage to revolutionary France with red, blue and white decorations?
13. Or give a nod to the latter half of the “Red and Black” song by decking out your place in those colors.
14. You can also get crafty and DIY with cut up old T-shirts sewn onto a lace line and hung to look like revolutionary flags.
15. The Drinks:
17. You can also pun up your drinks and serve Fantine’s Tu-Beer-culosis, which is just another way of saying straight-up beer.
18. Or craft a specialty cocktail, like the Cosette-tini.
That fun creation is care of the New Lennox Public Library.