92% of pop songs are about sex…so what are the other 8% about?

A recent article in Evolutionary Psychology — “Songs as a Medium for Embedded Reproductive Messages” (PDF) — observes and discusses how commonplace “reproductive themes” are in Country, Pop, and R&B.

In one section they look at the top songs from 2009…

Approximately 92% of the 174 songs that made it into the Top Ten in 2009 contained one or more reproductive messages, with an average of 10.49 reproductive phrases per song.

With everything from commitment to genitalia being included as sexual themes, I am not at all surprised that almost all songs have “reproductive messages.” What is surprising is that it’s only 92% of the hits.

What are those other 8% about?

(via The Atlantic)

Read more: http://twentytwowords.com/92-of-pop-songs-are-about-sex%e2%80%a6so-what-are-the-other-8-about/

6 Comments

  1. Bob
  2. Jeff
  3. Andrew
  4. JK
  5. teek
  6. Luka

Reply