Some tips to keep you calm, cool, and carefree this summer!
2. 1. Having trouble getting the sand off?
NBC / Via giphy.com
Rub some baby powder onto your limbs. The sticky sand will fall away and you’ll be left as smooth as – well – a baby’s bottom.
4. 2. Want to avoid looking like this?
Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before you go out. It takes that long for your skin to absorb it properly.
6. 3. Not sure which kite to fly?
Delta, Diamonds and Dragon kites fly well in light to medium winds (6-15 MPH). Pick a Box or Parafoil kite if the winds are stronger (18-25 MPH).
8. 4. Feel like your cooler is loaded down with dead weight?
No need to bring ice packs. Freeze water bottles ahead of time (make sure to pour a little out first). As the day wears on, the ice will melt and you’ll have drinking water.
10. 5. Have bad luck with sandcastles?
Peter Huang / Via giphy.com
Work from top to bottom. You’ll lessen the chance that falling sand or an errant knee will destroy your masterpiece.
12. 6. Want an easy way to light a bonfire? So easy a caveman could do it?
Hanna-Barbera Productions / Via giphy.com
Twentieth Century Fox / Via letsfeast.com
Before you leave home, rub a bunch of cotton balls in petroleum jelly and place them in a ziploc bag. When you’re ready to light your fire, remove them from the bag and you’ll have fail-safe kindling.
14. 7. If you’re über pale…
Summit Entertainment / Via ohstilesstilinski.tumblr.com
Wolper Pictures Ltd. / Via giphy.com
Start using a self tanner. But pick one with a low percentage of DHA (dihodroxyacetone) so that you don’t end up looking orange.
16. 8. The beach is a great place for games with friends.
Paramount Pictures / Via writtalin.com
So make sure you bring the right equipment. Note: Beach volleyballs are softer, lighter and bigger than indoor balls.
18. 9. Afraid someone might steal your valuables while you’re in the water?
Clean out an old lotion bottle and stash your phone, money and keys in it for safer keeping.
20. 10. Struggling with your wetsuit?
Largo Entertainment / Via giphy.com
Wrap a plastic grocery bag around your foot before you push it into the leg of your suit. Repeat with your other foot and then hands. The plastic bag helps the neoprene to slide easily over your skin.
22. 11. Can’t… stop… texting?
FOX / Via giphy.com
Put your phone in a ziploc bag to keep the sand away. You can still use the touch screen through the bag.
24. 12. Got a little beach tar stuck to your feet?
Walt Disney Productions / Via ethicsalarms.com
Baby oil will lift it right off.
26. 13. Not only do frisbees provide hours of endless entertainment…
… they’re functional ! Avoid soggy paper plate fails by using frisbees as plate holders.
28. 14. Tired of the corners of your beach blanket flapping in the wind and stirring up sand?
Disney Channel / Via nytimes.com
Use a fitted sheet instead. Place large items such as coolers in the corners, pull the sheet edges up around them and you’ll have the opposite of a sand box: a sand-free box!
30. 15. Bringing your dog?
Protect his sensitive paws from the hot sand with toddler socks.
32. 16. Need some tunes to get the party cranking?
NBC / Via rebloggy.com
Make an iPhone speaker by cutting a slit in a paper towel or toilet paper tube and anchoring it between two plastic cups.
34. 17. Got work to do?
FOX / Via cheezburger.com
Place your laptop in a cardboard box so you can see the screen better.
36. 18. Having a hard time transporting all your stuff?
Load up an old snow sled with your beach gear and you’ll be able to pull it across the sand no problem.
38. 19. Want to avoid getting sticky watermelon juice all over your face?
Cut it like this.
40. 20. Sick of sand flies?
Universal Pictures / Via thesocietypages.org
Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil into your sunscreen and they’ll steer clear of you.
42. 21. If you get stung by a jellyfish, there’s no need to go to awkward extremes.
Universal Pictures / Via giphy.com
Try this instead.
44. 22. Is your steering wheel sizzling at the end of the day?
GEICO / Via cafemom.com
Turn your wheel 180 degrees when you park. That way, the side you normally touch will be in the shade while the other part is in the sun.
46. 23. Want to stay after the sun sets for some romantic stargazing?
Twentieth Century Fox / Via giphy.com
Try the night of August 12th when the Perseids Meteor Shower will produce up to sixty meteors per hour.
48. You’re ready to RULE the beach!